I write (and speak) a lot about living with intention.
Sometimes I go through periods where I set a new intention for every day, or even for each segment of my day.
Other times that feels too overwhelming.
Over the past year, my primary intention has been to take care of myself, mind and body, and take one small step forward each day. That was the most I could muster in terms of intention setting.
Why do I even set intentions in the first place?
If you don’t name it, it’s hard to feel/achieve/experience it.
Yesterday I set an intention to feel joy, and I wrote it down in my planner and in my journal.
Here’s what my day looked like yesterday, and how I created it with my intention of feeling joy:
- My morning ritual: meditate, read, journal and sip coffee on my patio. Even in the steamy humidity this ritual filled me with joy.
- Teaching Jazzercise: Music, dance and community are all sources of joy for me, plus I got my workout in too.
- Brainstorming meeting for an upcoming project: Working with cool, creative women lights me up. Bonus that we had the meeting outdoors on the water (with snacks!)
- Afternoon tasks: I had several business administrative tasks, plus travel tasks for an upcoming trip, like scheduling COVID test, ride to the airport, etc. None of those tasks fill me with joy. SO, instead I focused on the excitement of the trip and how completing these tasks would make it possible for this adventure. In addition to daydreaming or visualizing about the trip, I put on some good music and diffused some uplifting essential oils – both great creators of JOY!
- Girlfriends Happy Hour: Connecting with some of my best buds weekly on Zoom is one of my greatest joys of the week. I grab my Kombucha, settle in my comfy chair and get ready for some real talk and lots of laughs.
- Relaxing in the evening: Enjoyed some T.V. and finishing up my current book.
By getting clear on my intention, I bring more of it into my life, AND I can find ways to get small doses even when other stuff needs to get done.
Today my intention is connection, so I’ve gotta wrap this up as I’m meeting up with a friend I haven’t seen in over a year.
What’s your intention?
Psst..be sure to write it down! Or better yet, reply to this email so I can hold that intention for you.