Or in my case my iPhone.
I made a last minute decision Monday night to take two days off to head up to one of my favorite spots, Kirpalu in the Berkshires, for a little R&R. Since I work on Saturdays and most holidays, it’s very rare to have two full consecutive days off. Now I see why weekends were invented!
For me recharging meant unplugging from email, voice mail, & the internet (though I confess to some texting).
Here were some of the highlights which I think are key to fully recharge:
- Exploring movement – Because I’m recovering from an injury some of my usual activities like kayaking and biking were off limits. So for movement I took some wonderful Gentle Yoga classes and went on a nice walk. It was a nice change of pace to my usual workouts
- Getting a good nights’ sleep – I actually got a full 8 hrs! I don’t remember the last time that happened, but wow it feels great!
- Finding the Silence – I attended a meditation session which reminded me how such a simple practice can be so powerful
- Enjoying fabulous healthy meals – I even finally bought their cookbook after years of leafing through it in the Gift Shop. Now I hope to bring a little of the Kirpalu kitchen into my own.
- Making a connection – I made an interesting new acquaintance (my husband says I can make friends anywhere, even during the Kirpalu silent breakfast!), and we had a wonderful conversation. We initially chatted about the World Cup (he’s a former professional soccer player), but as the conversation evolved I was reminded that everyone has a story to tell if you really listen, and often it is the exact message you need at the time.
Movement, sleep, silence, nourishment & connection….a perfect recipe for recharging. Mix in the beauty of the Berkshires and you’ve got a feast that will have you wanting a second helping!